EDU5702 – Teaching and Learning Event Activity
Online Learning in Group – Application of Case-based Problem-Solving Approach
Overall Objective: Group interaction to examine case study on sustainability through case analysis report and peer-group reflection on posters.
Session Details and Learning Environment
- 2 hrs duration
- TAFE students with corporate experience – aged 25-35 years
- case studies depicting scenario and group discussion in online environment
- interactive learning website to promote problem-solving approach and peer-group reflection http://asokeonline.space/
Assessment strategy and theoretical approach
- Formative assessment – evaluated student learning based on case-oriented problem-based approach – application of Triple Bottom Line Sustainability.
- Peer-group reflection on posters – develop reflection skills and capabilities based on Sustainable Development Goals.
- Problem-based learning (Lee et al., 2014) – solving real life problems related to socio-environmental and economic aspects
Activity Stages: Two Sessions
Session One – 1 hr
Case study analysis based on problem-based approach – Application of Triple Bottom Line Sustainability
Refer to Case – Westpac regional banking services to support agri-business and rural SMEs.
- Group discussion – case study analysis
Gr A – Socio-environmental aspects of sustainability.
- Community engagement
- Social capital development
- Agribusiness for regional support
- Reduce waste and emissions
Gr B – Economic aspects of sustainability.
- Sustainable Investment
- Supply Chain management
- Small Business Support
Session Two – 1 hr
Peer-group reflection on posters – Application of Sustainable Development Goals
Gr A (Socio-environmental aspects of SDGs) reflects on Gr B (Economic aspects of SDGs) poster.
Gr B (Economic aspects of SDGs) reflects on Gr A (Socio-environmental aspects of SDGs) poster.
- analysis of case-oriented problem-based learning in groups
- application of conceptual frameworks (Triple Bottom Line and Sustainable Development Goals) based on social constructivism Refer to following websites
- Westpac Sustainability Performance
- Triple Bottom Line Sustainability
- Sustainable Development Goals
- UN Principles of Responsible Banking
- reflect on peer-group performance and case study analysis to establish banking case for sustainability
Session 1 Instructions for Learners – Case Analysis in Groups
explanation of key strategic issues and problems related to sustainable implementation of banking
logically organized key arguments and important criteria for evaluating business strategies
identifying change drivers underlying the issues of sustainability
recommendations and action plans for sustainable value creation
The learning platform contains following information: case study, case summary and triple bottom line sustainability model.
Learners need to ensure that they analyse the Westpac Sustainability case study based on the given aspects: 1) socio-environmental and 2) economic.
Session 2 Instructions for the Groups: Poster Creation
- Required Elements – required elements as well as additional information
- Labels – important items clearly labeled for identification from distance
- Graphics – Relevance – graphics related to topic and easier to understand
- Attractiveness – poster is exceptionally attractive in terms of design, layout, and neatness
The learning platform (http://asokeonline.space/) contains following information: case study, case summary and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Learners need to ensure that they create a sustainability poster study based on the given aspects of SDGs: 1) socio-environmental and 2) economic.
Rubrics and Evaluation Forms
Refer to both rubrics and evaluation forms to understand how you will be assessed for group participation in regard to case analysis and peer-group reflection
Refer Submission Forms – Case Analysis Report and Peer-group Reflection on posters